There are so many beautiful places to go in Italy, it's hard to pick the ones that you would like to go to. But before you decide where you would like to go, it's important to know how to get there. The quickest and easiest way to get around Italy is by train. Termini Train Station, located in east Rome, is where you'll get your train tickets for your destination. Termini is also one of the largest train stations in Europe (Wikipedia). Here, you'll get your tickets to and from your destination. Also, be aware of promotions going on when buying tickets. Termini will sometimes have a deal where you can get two tickets for the price of one if you travel to a certain destination. You can find out about these deals at the Rome Termini website. Both the full semester and 5-weeks programs will be going on a trip to Assisi and is just north of Rome. Next to Rome, Assisi was my favorite place in Italy. You'll be taking a bus there, so you don't have to worry about train tickets or anything.
For those planning on making a trip to Florence, I will advise you that it's not all it's cracked up to be. It is very touristy in Florence, more so than in Rome. My dad and I went to Florence for his birthday when he came to visit me, and there wasn't really a lot to do. I enjoyed the Uffizi gallery, but that's just because I'm an art freak. Other than that, there really wasn't anything to do, and it really wasn't that different from Rome. So if you were thinking of going to Florence, I would advise you to go somewhere different. A few of the students went to the Amalfi Coast for a few days, and they really enjoyed it. It's rocky shores and beautiful scenery make for a great getaway. I would recommend going there.
If you are looking for a short getaway from Rome, Ostia Antica is a great option. It's located on the west shore of Italy and it's only about twenty to get there by metro. The beach here is wonderful, it makes you feel like you are not in Rome anymore because it's the complete opposite of what Rome is. This beach is peaceful and relaxing and despite the fact that you may have to occasionally fight off people selling jewelry and scarves, it's a great little day trip to get away from the chaos of Rome. You can rent lounge chairs and umbrellas and camp out on the beach for the whole day. There is a $5 admission charge to get onto the beach, but it's well worth it for a day full of relaxation.
WARNING: Italians don't always feel the need to wear a swimsuit, just be prepared for some of the sights you'll be taking in.
I didn't get to do a lot of traveling outside of class trips because I didn't have a lot of money, but if you do have the funds, go somewhere fun with your friends. If you are going to travel a lot, I would advise you against wearing yourself out traveling somewhere every weekend. It's a lot of money to travel that much, and sometimes it's nice to just get lost in Rome.
Very interesting post. I think the first time I meet somebody who doesn't recommend to visit Florence. Is is difficult to agree as there are so many places of interest in Florence. Except Uffizi there is a cathedral, Michelangelo, etc. I think that even an air there is something special. All this makes Florence to be one of the places to go in italy.
ReplyDelete