A University of Mary student's guide to preparing for life in the eternal city of Rome, and what to do, how to act, and where to go when you get there.






Monday, January 9, 2012

Why Italy?

Hello, my name is Madison Runge. I am a sophmore studying mass communications at the University of Mary in Bismarck, North Dakota. As a blog topic, I have chosen to expain to University of Mary students who have chosen to study abroad in Rome what the Italian culture is like in hope of preparing anyone who chooses to venture to Italy. I will explain what Italian culture is like for an American, why Italians do what they do, and what you can learn from the Italian way of life.

At the University of Mary, there is a new study abroad program that took root a few years ago. This program mainly takes place in Rome, Italy, as well as side trips along the way to places like Assisi, Norcia, Subiaco, MonteCassino and so on. About a year ago this time, I was debating whether or not I wanted to take part in this program. After careful consideration and A LOT of support from family and friends, I made my decision to live in Rome, Italy and study for four months. This was a drastic decision for me, as I had never been away from Bismarck for more than a week and a half. But for personal reasons, I knew I needed a break from my life in North Dakota to focus on myself and what I want out of life. So, I packed up my suitcases and headed off to Italy, without looking back.

The transition from the United States to Italy was probably one of the scariest things I've ever experienced in my life. I was no where near prepared for what to expect from Italy, and the very first day in this strange country, reality stood up and slapped me in the face, HARD. I had no idea what Italy was like before hand, what to expect, or what to do when I got there. Because of this, the first few days in Italy were some of the most anxiety filled days of my life. This is the very reason I have decided to write my blog to U-Mary students looking to study abroad in Italy, whether it be for five weeks or four months, because I want to prepare you for one of the most eye-opening experiences of your life. I want to prepare you, the way I wasn't, so you don't have to go through the first-time anxiety like I did.

Needless to say, Italy was an experience- correction, a very humbling experience- and by far the best experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself, the students I was with, and the Italian way of doing things. I dove head-first into a country I knew absolutly nothing about and came out knowing a lot of things about Italy and its culture. That's why I feel that I am credited to talk and discuss Italy, because I lived it, I was there and survived. I didn't know the language, the bus systems, or the maps. All I knew was that for four months, I would be engulfed in one of the most beautiful cities in the world: Roma.

No comments:

Post a Comment